Safety Assurance Manager
Safety Assurance Manager
Devonport Royal Dockyard
3 Month Contract
A restructuring of the safety support and delivery function at Devonport has created an exciting opportunity for safety/quality professionals to help build an effective assurance framework in support of the business.
Working closely with key stakeholders, the new Safety Assurance function will facilitate alignment of the Safety Management System with the developing ISO45001 standard, establishing clear ownership of compliance arrangements within the business.
Designing and implementing an integrated audit strategy, the function will establish clear metrics and reporting criteria, highlighting to the DRDL Board the status of risk management and compliance within their operations and informing decision-making.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
As the leader of this new team you will have the knowledge, skills and experience to grasp the challenge and make an immediate impact.
A qualified Safety Practitioner and Assurance Manager you will have extensive practical experience of supporting safety improvement within a large, complex business through the design and implementation of effective and efficient management systems. You will have a track record of supporting such organisations through the process of Certification to recognised standards.
A proven, effective and influential communicator from Shop Floor to Board Room, your leadership style will reflect our need to manage change through constructive engagement whilst providing clear and compelling direction based on a track record of success.
Safety Assurance Manager Principal tasks and responsibilities are:
- To deputise for the Head of SHE Assurance in his absence.
- To oversee the transformation of the DRDL Safety Management System in accordance with the agreed ConOps for SHE Assurance.
- Act as Process Owner for SHE compliance processes where the post holder is the designated Subject Matter Expert (SME)
- To monitor and coordinate the activities of designated Subject Matter Experts identified as having responsibility for compliance arrangements under the safety management system.
- To develop and maintain a BMS "road map" evidencing compliance arrangements for statutory and contractual responsibilities in respect of health and safety.
- To monitor the development of ISO45001 - Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems - through consultation and implementation and ensure appropriate alignment of the DRDL Safety Management System.
- To undertake appropriate safety assessments of subcontractors prior to their admission to the DRDL Approved Vendor Database.
- To act as the DRDL "4Cs Controller" in respect of mutual arrangements with the Ministry of Defence for control of contractors on the Devonport site.
- To manage the DRDL programme of independent assurance audits against corporate process/procedure and contractual specifications.
- Conduct strategic benchmark audits across the organisation to identify and share best practice.
- To identify both key risks and areas for improvement across the DRDL site through the undertaking of audits and analysis of data.
- Develop and maintain a Corporate Risk Register based on the monitoring and review undertaken of the preventive and protective measures for statutory and contractual compliance.
- Coordinate all SHE Assurance reporting through the DRDL Board and Governance structures.
- To manage the DNESQ Safety Assurance team, ensuring their personal development provides them with the skills and competence to fulfil personal, departmental and organisational objectives.
- To promote a robust Safety Culture.
- The provision of advice and guidance to the business on matters pertaining to safety assurance, safety management, audit and subsequent management of findings and their corrective actions.
- With professional colleagues across the M&T Division to establish collaborative working relationships, sharing best practice and opportunities to learn.
Safety Assurance Manager is authorised to:
- Stop work where significant risks to health and safety are identified.
- Represent Head of SHE Assurance at forums where safety assurance and management matters are discussed.
- Make financial commitments, through Head of SHE Assurance, in accordance with corporate procedures and budgets.
- To engage directly with the Regulators, MOD and LRQA on matters concerning assurance activities.
- To commit resources in accordance with approved budget.
- Minimum HND in an engineering or technical subject
- ISO 9001:2008 Lead Auditor qualified
- CMIOSH or under a programme of training to achieve that qualification
- Experience of managing safety assurance programmes.
- Thorough understanding of the legislative and regulatory framework for conventional health and safety
- Experience in developing effective safety management systems and undertaking audits against recognised standards
- Experience in successful management of change
- Good communication and influencing skills at a senior level
- Able to develop, lead and motivate a team
- Confident and credible dealing with Regulators