A Commis Chef will assist in the preparation of all menu requirements under supervision and to be able to follow and understand verbal and written instructions. Under Supervision they will be able to carry out allotted job tasks in the relevant time and complete any relevant documentation. They will respond positively to requests from senior staff and management and to comply with company hygiene standards, policies and procedures. To have an awareness of stock rotation, labelling and storing of mis en place and to take care of their relevant section. They will have awareness, and will comply with, all kitchen safety rules and all cleaning requirements.
Key Task Area - Customer Service
- To provide an appropriate and proactive level of service to meet the needs of the catering department and customer requirements
- To have a courteous and appropriate telephone manner if and when required to use the telephone.
- Ensure that professional respect and courtesy is maintained within the Catering environment and any concerns are communicated appropriately to the line manager
- Through regular communications by your line manager, and local notice boards, have an awareness of all promotions and activities in the casino.
Key Task Area - Technical Skills
- Once trained, have an awareness of knife usage and safety.
- To assist in general preparation and service of menu including specified dishes and staff food items.
- Minimise wastage where possible.
- To be familiar with all kitchen equipment in a prescribed manner.
- Maintain clean, tidy and hygienic working area.
- Prepare mis en place under senior manager instructions.
- To report any items that need re-stocking to your supervisor.
- To have an understanding of menu planning and menu costings.
- Understand and appreciate ingredient quality and control and to minimise wastage.
- Have knowledge and understanding of reporting maintenance faults and issues.
Key Task Area - Compliance and Administration
- Ensure storage and dating/stock rotation is in line with company procedures and policies.
- To be able to use all kitchen equipment effectively.
- Ensure security of kitchen and fridges at closing.
- To report all faulty equipment, plant machinery and utensils to chef in charge.
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
- Knowledge of outside contractors for kitchen maintenance.
Key Task Area - Development
- To be willing to learn and fulfil other catering department responsibilities, for which training will be provided.
- Through training ensure costs are minimised and understand the cost implications for example: food wastage, date rotation and breakages.
- To recognise the importance of teamwork and group dynamics, building and maintaining effective working relationships within the team.
- To carry out any other duties that may be reasonably requested by their line manager to ensure the smooth running of the casino.
- To adopt a positive and flexible attitude to changing department priorities and procedures, including any required shift changes as a result of sickness or holiday that are communicated and consulted upon with you and your line manager.
- To review your own performance at probationary reviews and annual appraisal and actively be responsible for your development needs by using this job description to highlight area where you may feel further training or support is required.