Principal Software Developer - Sandhu Faculty
Salary range: GBP 38989 to GBP 49602 pa plus excellent benefits.Three years fixed term. Come design the tools and infrastructure to enable next-generation healthcare
We are seeking a creative Principal Software Developer to join a team of highly skilled individuals working on Global Health and Population Science under the leadership of Dr. Manj Sandhu.
The successful candidate will lead the design and implementation of a portal and the requisite data management infrastructures for accessing federated sources of health data in the UK and overseas. The work will be in close collaboration with Dr Jat Singh and colleagues at the Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge.
As part of the partnership between The International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) and The Uganda Medical Informatics Centre (UMIC), the Global Health and Populations group is facilitating the storage and analysis of an unprecedented health data resource hosted at the UMIC. In this context, the role will be pivotal in the design and implementation of a secure (cloud-hosted) data access and integration portal, and the associated data security, management and provenance frameworks necessary for facilitating remote data access and computation in the context of e-Health infrastructures.
Note: We seek candidates with a strong background in data & systems integration, management and security
The successful candidate will have a strong understanding of cloud infrastructure and data security/audit techniques and technologies.
* Degree in Computer Science or in a related quantitative field (e.g. Mathematics, Physics, Bioinformatics) coupled with substantial experience in software development.
* Significant experience in C/C++, and a high-level of skill in other programming languages (e.g. Go, Haskell, Java, Perl, Python, R, Ruby, Scala).
* Solid understanding of Linux/POSIX based operating systems, libraries, and tools. Experience in kernel development a definite plus.
* Experience with cloud virtualisation and management technologies (e.g. CernVM, Docker, Xen, LXC, KVM, OpenStack).
* Experience in common engineering practices and associated tools (e.g. version control, agile development, extreme programming).
* Extensive coding experience, preferably where outputs were used by others (i.e. in an academic or industrial context), and in customising existing software packages, particularly in complex systems environments.
* Practical software development experience, either in an academic or industrial environment. Especially relevant is contributions to open-source initiatives.
* Experience in areas where data privacy and security is paramount.
* Relevant professional security and/or auditing certifications (e.g. CISSP, GSEC, SABSA, CISM, CISA, etc.)
* Exposure to data provenance methodologies, particularly in data-driven research environments.
* Experience with relational and non-???relational databases (e.g. MongoDB, CouchDB, Titan, Neo4j, Cassandra, MySQL/MariaDB, PostgreSQL).
* A familiarity with statistics (e.g. statistical distributions, significance tests, inference).
The Sanger Institute is a charitably funded research centre focused on understanding the role of genetics in health and disease.
The Institute is located near Cambridge, UK on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus.
Our Benefits include: Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, Group Income Protection, Healthcare scheme, Childcare Vouchers, Workplace Nursery and 25 days Annual Leave, increasing by one day per year up to a maximum of 30, plus Bank Holidays. We also have a gym, two cafes, dining facilities, and a free campus bus service.
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute welcomes applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
Please include a covering letter and CV with your application.
Closing date for applications: 10th April 2017